My time at Long Hill Bed & Breakfast was my first B&B experience, but it sure was a great one! The property is large and beautiful, nestled atop a long hill (not just a clever name) on Apple Pie Ridge Road (seriously), Long Hill B&B somehow manages to be spacious and cozy all at once. Our room was large and had a fireplace, and a big window overlooking the backyard! Other awesome features of Long Hill B&B (in no particular order):
(1) The most disciplined cat I’ve ever met. (This cat is only allowed in a few rooms, in case guests have allergies, and she actually stays in those rooms.
(2) Large whirlpool bathtub!
(3) Stellar collection of board games and books. Wow.
(4) Complimentary soda and bottled water.
(5) A pool! (That wasn’t open when we were there, because it was April)
(6) This awesome table game called Boccerball. It was addicting. It is also very loud.
(7) The proprietors: George and Rhoda, are as sweet as they come. They were so pleasant, and went out of their way to make our stay special.
(8) Beautiful grounds! We spent a lot of time outside playing cards on the soft grass.
(9) Conveniently located near a Taco Bell!
(10) Free pinball machine!
(11) Pool and foosball tables.
(12) Great breakfast!
(13) Many other things like proximity to museums and other recreational activities (that we didn’t particularly care about, because we were there relax).
One of the things George and Rhoda will ask when you make your reservation is whether you have any dietary restrictions, or foods you just don’t like. They had no problem providing us with vegan meals, and did so in most excellent fashion.
The first morning, we had spinach and tofu breakfast burritos with salsa, roasted potatoes (omg), fruit salad, baked apples (!), and your choice of coffee, tea, or juice (I opted for green tea and cranberry juice). There was so much food, and it was so good!
For Sunday breakfast, we had buckwheat pancakes (that I really think had some cocoa in them too, they were chocolatey and delicious), a different kind of potatoes that I couldn’t get enough of, baked apples, and fruit salad. This time I went with grapefruit juice, and of course, green tea.
Seriously, this was such a fantastic weekend. Long Hill B&B is less than 90 minutes outside of Washington, D.C., offers great rates, and is a fantastic place to get away and relax! And relax we did! We spent most of the weekend playing cards (Joel researched 2-player card games, most of which he won), and were super lazy, with the exception of a kayak trip we took on the Shenandoah River on Sunday (only about a 20 minute drive from the B&B). I couldn’t recommend this place more if you’re looking for a wonderful, relaxing, and affordable place to get away. If you don’t like nice people, awesome food, and beautiful accommodations, don’t come to Long Hill Bed & Breakfast. Seriously, though, go there!